Standard 10 – Renting vs. Buying
Standard 10. The student will explain and compare the responsibilities of renting versus buying a home.
- Compare the costs and benefits of renting versus buying a home.
- Explain the elements of a standard lease agreement (e.g., deposit, due date, grace period, late fees, and utilities).
- Explain the elements of a mortgage (e.g., down payment, escrow account, due date, late fees, and amortization table); types of lenders; and fixed or adjustable rate mortgage loans.
Online Lesson Plans and Curriculum
Making $en$e: Financial Success for Oklahoma Students – Oklahoma State Department of Education | view now
- Module 10.1: Housing Alternatives
- Module 10.2: Leasing a Place to Live
- Module 10.3: Buying a Place to Live
- Buying vs. Renting | view now
- The Economics of Homebuying | view now
- Trish and Scott's Big Adventure: An Investigation of Regional Housing Costs | view now
Council for Economic Education Lessons
Financial Fitness for Life, Bringing Home the Gold, (9-12), Teacher Guide
- Lesson 16 – Shopping for a Mortgage
Focus on Personal Decision Making
- Lesson 11 – Housing: Deciding to Rent or Buy.
Your Credit Count Challenge
- Section 4 – A Roof Over Your Head